Written and photographed by Skaie Knox
Summertime is the perfect time to try out new recipes! With the kids out of school and friends and family visiting, it seems we’re in need of mixing it up a bit in the kitchen – indoors and out. And speaking of mixing, you and the youngsters will have so much fun making REAL whipped cream, then folding in creamy cream cheese and other yummy ingredients. Now that the warm weather has arrived, grilling season-ripe peaches is where we’ll start to create today’s perfect-for-BBQing dish, “Gorgeously Grilled Peaches ‘n Cream Cheese Parfait“. I just know you’re gonna love it!
- 8 ripe (preferably organic) peaches
- 2 cups organic whipping cream OR soy non-dairy coconut cool whip
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 8oz. whipped cream cheese
- 10-15 Reduced Fat Nilla Wafers crushed
- 2 Tbsp. organic honey
- Place metal bowl, whisk(s) and whipping cream into freezer. 30 minutes should do it. The colder the bowl, whisk, and cream, the easier it is to thicken.
- Preheat the grill. If using a propane grill, preheat for approximately 15 minutes. If using a charcoal grill, consider using eco-friendly briquettes that are now available like Coshell Charcoal (made from 100% recycled coconut shells) or Woodstock Charcoal (no chemicals, made from round oak wood, acquired from tree pruning and forest thinning).
- Grill peaches. Cut peaches in half, then brush insides with olive oil. Place face down onto grill for 3 minutes. Rotate 45 degrees to create cool grill marks, then grill another 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Add cream to the chilled bowl, begin whipping by hand for approximately 5 minutes, or on low to start. SOFT PEAKS STAGE: once you notice ripples in the cream, you are getting there!
- Add powdered sugar and beat on medium-high. The starch in the confectioner’s sugar will help stabilize the whipped cream. MEDIUM PEAKS STAGE: once you notice mounds of cream forming, but not peaks, you are almost there!
- Beat cream until thick. HIGH PEAKS STAGE: stop your beater and see if you can make high peaks with the cream by dipping your beaters or spoon into the bowl and pulling a scoop out. STOP if you can! If you continue, you could break the cream and the fluffiness will deflate.
- Gently fold in vanilla. Set aside approximately 3-4 cups of whip cream and refrigerate.
- Gently fold in cream cheese. (Ohhhh, yummy!)
- Cut peaches into chunks. If you’d prefer to take off the skins, go nuts. I left mine on, as it added a touch of sweetness and texture to the dish.
- Layer parfait: add a dollop of whipped cream cheese, a spoonful of Nilla Wafer crumbs (don’t be stingy with the crumbs…they add a yummy crunch), a spoonful of peaches, a drizzle of honey, and repeat.
- Top with reserved whipped cream. Optional: sprinkle with Nilla Wafers and garnish with a Nilla Wafer cookie and mint leaf.
Prep time: 15 mins. Makes 8 servings. Approximate calories per serving: 358.
NOTE: If you’d like to reduce the number of calories, (179 calories per serving), either cut the recipe in half or make 16 mini servings in smaller dessert dishes.