Editorial, photos and video by Skaie Knox, HomeJelly
When the weather drops to chilly temperatures, there’s nothing like the warming love of a hot cup of cocoa – the sweet-smooth taste of melted chocolate and all the fix’ns can instantly elevate the winter blues. Add a nip of booze to the mix and you’ll turn a snowbound day into a reason to celebrate!
Today’s recipe shows you how to hand craft a perfect après ski or after-dinner dessert drink for adults called, the “Rock-Chocolate”. Add a dollop of liqueur-laden whipping cream, a milk chocolate truffle and some fancy heart-shaped marshmallows for a hot cocktail to rock your winter world!
Boozy Whipping Cream Ingredients:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 2 – 3 Tbsp. liqueur of choice (we love Bailey’s Irish Cream)
- Chill metal bowl in freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Beat heavy whipping cream on medium-high until you see ripples in the cream.
- Add in sugar and vanilla, then beat on high until peaks form.
- Finally, add in liqueur to incorporate into cream. Be careful not to over whip.
- large marshmallows
- kitchen shears
- heart-shaped petit four cutter
- cooking spray
- Cut marshmallows in half, horizontally.
- Press greased cutter into center of marshmallow halves.
- Preserve both heart-shaped sides for floating.
Rock Chocolate Ingredients:
- 4 cups oat milk (or 1% or 2% milk or almond milk)
- 3-4, 1.55 oz. bars of chocolate, finely chopped*
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 jiggers (6 fluid oz.) of vodka
*For a super-duper easy shortcut, substitute 8 Tbsp. or 4 packets of hot cocoa mix (Swiss Miss is our family’s favorite!).
Rock Chocolate Fix’ns
- chocolate chunks
- whipped cream
- chocolate truffle
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of milk to a scalding temperature, about 180 °F.
If using chocolate bars:
- While milk is heating up, place finely chopped chocolate into the microwave and heat for 30 seconds. Take bowl out and stir. Return to microwave and heat another 30 seconds. Repeat until chocolate is melted. You can also melt chocolate over a double-boiler.
- When milk has reached a temperature of 180 °F, or you see small bubbles forming on the sides of the pan, add chocolate (either melted or cocoa packets) and whisk to fully combine. Add salt and vanilla. Note: Kids are welcome to enjoy a “Mocktail Rock Chocolate” without the liqueur!
- In a mug, add 1 shot of vodka, fill with hot chocolate, then top with whipped cream, chocolate truffle, chocolate shavings, and/or marshmallows. Note: it’s better to add vodka to individual mugs so it doesn’t get cooked off in the saucepan.